Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hilton Head Island

Wow!  The exhaustion of the last two days now seems all worthwhile - what a beautiful place this is!!  Our RV is overlooking a harbor, and there is a soft breeze wafting through the trees.  I have switched from jeans to shorts and bare feet.  Gorgeous!  Lee took the photo below:

 This place is better (and cheaper) than a hotel.  What a view, from our front window!  20 feet from the water.  We arrived at about 2 in the afternoon, and are sitting, relaxing, enjoying the view and the breeze.   I am slowly starting to unwind.  We even decided to stay here one day longer, because the location is so beautiful.  So far I have heard (but not seen) a chickadee and a mocking bird going through it's repertoire.

Which reminds me, in my post from yesterday, I mentioned seeing a plover or sandpiper.  Not so!  This morning we took a last walk around the campground at St. George, and lo and behold, we found the same bird in the same place.  A killdeer!!  She started through her routine, to lure us away from her hidden nest.  The closer I got to her nest, the more brave and frantic she became.  I didn't really want to find her nest, so wasn't looking for it, but got the general idea by her behavior.  She chose a bad spot - one of the peripheral (but less traveled) campground roads.  The series of photos I took will appear in my next post. 
 

No comments: