Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Munchkin

I promised to introduce Munchkin today, who will accompany us on our journey.  Munchkin was hatched in my Uncle's backyard, in Antioch, CA, 25 years ago (!)  He came into my life 3 months before I met Lee (!)  He was hand fed by my aunt, once every four hours for three weeks with an eye dropper.  Munchkin is convinced he is human, and pretty much ignores the parakeets as insignificant and somewhat annoying creatures, even though the parakeets are meant to be his pets.   My hope is the parakeets provide some distraction for Munchkin when Lee and I are away, even though he turns his beak up at them.  Munchkin is a gentle soul, as are most cockatiels.  He loves taking showers with Lee.  (He doesn't like my showers - they are too short and I don't splash enough.)  He loves getting his head scratched, at least twice a day, twenty minutes at a time.  His favorite foods are chicken, turkey, tuna fish, salmon, cheerios, grape nuts, oatmeal (any grain, really) and pasta.  Yum!  He gets very excited about any of those foods, doing a little dance on his toes.

1 comment:

Dan said...

What an engaging introduction; I feel like I almost KNOW him. You have a real knack for writing!