Saturday, April 16, 2011

Back to Key Largo

Today we left Key West, heading back to Key Largo.  This afternoon we checked out the local state park (John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park) and plan to go back tomorrow.  We are staying for a few days, and hope to kayak and do some snorkeling rather than sight-seeing.  More on that tomorrow.

Here's heading back to Key Largo:



The pilings on the left of the highway supported the original railroad that went all the way out to Key West.

Someone asked if we saw the six-toed cats at Ernest Hemingway's house, and the answer is, yes we did.  I didn't mention them yesterday because I felt my post was getting a little long, but since someone asked...

Someone gave the Hemingway's a six-toed cat wile they were living in Key West, and today the descendants of that first cat still live in the home and on the property.  Not all of the descendants have six toes, but the tour guide said about half of them do.  And indeed they do.  I saw them!  It makes their paws look larger than the average cat's.  I took a couple of pictures of the cats, who are every where, but I didn't get close-ups of their paws:



Across the street from the Hemingway house is a restaurant called "Six-Toed Cats".   So, now you know.  All the stories you may have heard about the existence of six-toed cats are true!

Oh, and the rooster in the photo is real, not a statue.  It took me a long time to get that photo -  we saw lots of roosters, but they kept disappearing around corners before I could get my camera ready to shoot!

Signing off for now, more tomorrow.

No comments: