Saturday, April 30, 2011

Quiet day

Today was a quiet day, after all of yesterday's excitement.  We read, did laundry (you must think I am always doing laundry, and yes, I am.  I didn't bring very many clothes), cleaned house, and ran a few errands.  Munchkin was happy to have his "flock" around him for most of the day.

I took a few pictures from a walk we took the other day on the nature trail around the outer boundaries of the RV park.  Once again, we walked through the typical palmetto forest with saw palmettos and loblolly pines:


and saw a gopher tortoise, this one about 10 inches wide and 15 inches in length (they burrow into the ground):


and a flock of wild turkeys (Nate, you cannot hunt these, it is not allowed on the property):




Look at the beautiful feathers!


I read more of Bartram's Travels today, and he spoke of all the wild animals in Florida at the time - lots of wild turkeys, black wolves (smaller, he says, then the wolves of the northern United States), deer, bears, and of course alligators.   He also spoke of the large number of cranes - sandhill cranes, I would guess?  How much it has changed!

That's it for today.
 

No comments: