Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Warbirds

As most of you know, Lee is a pilot and likes to visit aviation museums when we travel.  Today we visited the "Valiant Air Command Warbird Air Museum" in Titusville.  Here are a few photos:


As I recall, when my family flew from Guam to Saipan way back when, we flew in a DC3.  The Warbird museum includes a DC3, which they fly several times a month in air shows, demonstrations, and so on.  Dad, did we really fly on a DC3?  When I saw this plane, it seemed much smaller than I remember.  Of course, I was 9 and everything seemed larger back then:


Tonight we had dinner at a restaurant with a view of the Kennedy Space Center, across the Indian River.  You can see the VAB (Vehicle Assembly Building), the one that is 52 stories high, in the center of the photo:



And finally, I leave you with a photo of a Turkey Vulture.  It is amazing how tame these birds are in this area.  I have always known them to be shy and cautious, but here they let you get within 10 feet of them.   This vulture was with several others, both Black and Turkey vultures, in an area where people fish frequently.  Perhaps the vultures get scraps?


Isn't s/he loverly?  A face only a mother could love.  This is probably not the photo I should have ended with, but to end with a positive spin, have you ever watched a vulture fly?  They soar and glide magnificently, with such ease and grace. 
 
I haven't mentioned the economy lately.  Down in the Florida Keys, in Naples and on Sanibel Island business seemed to be doing okay.  There was a lot of activity, no closed shops, etc.  We did hear of foreclosures and dropping house prices. 

In Titusville, on the other hand, there are many empty buildings.  It does seem to be a depressed area, and once the KSC closes I imagine it will become more so. 

No comments: