Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Blue Ridge Mountains

These last two posts will be mostly for my blog followers on the West Coast, since those on the East Coast know these areas well.

Today we left the Shenandoah Valley, and I took a couple of photographs of the Blue Ridge Mountains.  They flank the eastern side of the valley.  Can you see why they are called the Blue Ridge Mountains?



We arrived just outside Gettysburg, PA, late this afternoon.  We are staying in the nicest KOA I have ever seen.  Not that my experience  with KOA campgrounds is very extensive, but this one is very nice and very well kept.  

After settling in, we took a quick walk through the town of Gettysburg: 


Did you know that some of the battle took place in the town itself?  Many of the buildings have bullet holes in their walls. Miraculously, only one civilian died.

Lee and I have been to Gettysburg a few times, but it is always worth another visit.  The reverence one feels for lives lost is palpable. I will have more tomorrow night (or the next?) about the Gettysburg battle grounds.

No comments: