Monday, May 23, 2011

Natural Bridge

Hi, this is Lima "Beanie" Bean. I am taking over tonight because Munchkin's posts are kind of boring. That's because Munchkin is an old fuddy duddy. He gets scared of everything. He is even scared of me, and I am way smaller than he is! He is scared of bugs and shadows and funny noises. He is cautious, maybe because he is old, or maybe because he is a cockatiel. He should embrace life, like me!! Life is fun and it should be filled with singing songs!

Well, anyway, Mom and Dad went to a place called "Natural Bridge" today, another beautiful place for birds. Not those funny long-legged things they have in Florida, but regular birds that sing, like me. People call them song birds.

So, Natural Bridge was well-known to the Indians, and was sacred to them. It was also known to George Washington, who carved his initials in the stone when he was young. Then the land was sold to Thomas Jefferson, who loved the place and visited it almost every year.

Here are pictures of the Natural Bridge. It is bigger than Mom expected. There are several pictures to try to show how big it is:



In the picture above, see how tiny those little people are?  They look smaller than me, a little parakeet!  They look like specks, like bugs maybe.  Like gnats.

I was just very brave.  I tried to eat Munchkin's food.  But Mom peaked around the computer and almost saw me, and I had to fly away really fast!!  She can't catch me eating Munchkin's food, oh, no!

Anyway, back to the Bridge.  More pictures:




Mom took this picture because she likes the texture in the rock.  I think that's a funny reason to take a picture, but then I don't have a camera:



There is a sign that says the tree below is the oldest Arborvitae in the world, over 1600 years old.  It must know a lot about the world!


Mom, I am getting tired and hungry.  Can you please take over?

(Okay, Beanie Bean.  This is Eileen taking over.)

A lovely mountain stream carved the Natural Bridge out of limestone over a period of thousands of years. 


The Lace Waterfall is upstream about 3/4 of a mile.  It's nothing like Bridal Veil Falls, but pretty in its own way:


Here's Lee and I standing in front of the waterfall.  A young couple asked us to take a photo of them, and they took this of us.  The guy said he had seen large trout in the stream on occasion. 


And for those at the Academy is the photo below. All I could think when I took this photo was "the Data is in the Strata!"


A quick note: we plan to be home Friday, if all goes as planned.  It may depend on the weather.

No comments: