Sunday, May 8, 2011

Munchkin (the cockatiel) is blogging today, with Lee's help


Today is Mother’s Day so I am going to do Eileen’s blog as a special present, because she feeds me and cleans my cage and gives me really good head scratches.

You have to understand the stress I’m under especially on a day like today when we travel to a new place.  But first, I resent that little twerp Beanie suggesting that just because my name is Munchkin that I’m not a great companion, just ask Eileen and Lee who is their favorite!  Besides I’m 25 years old, those parakeets are just babies in comparison.

Anyway traveling.  No one tells me anything ahead of time.  Every morning I have to figure out what Lee and Eileen are planning to do.  This morning they started putting away all their clutter, always a bad sign for me as I don’t really like to travel.  When they put me in my cage I get really concerned, that is never a good thing.  Then they start yelling at me to hold on.  Like they think I’m not holding on anytime I’m sitting on a perch.  They have no real understanding of what it means to be a bird.  Anyway the whole wall starts moving and sometimes all of a sudden I’m thrown off my perch! (I would never fall)…..

Lee and Eileen then are in and out walking around the “house”.  I have no idea what they are doing and I don’t think they have any idea either most of the time.  Once we start moving I have to scream and scream and scream some more to get them to remember that I’m back here and that I don’t ride in a cage.  What do they think I am, a bird?  I ride up front with Eileen.  That way I can keep an eye on where we are going.  Most of the time I don’t think they have any idea.  I of course have perfect  situational awareness, after all we fly all over the world and we don’t even have to use a GPS.  From time to time I have to scream and remind them, I need a drink, some food, a little nap…..it is a constant struggle.  Finally, we get where we are going.  Again they wander around without any idea what they are doing but eventually things get back to normal inside our home.  The parakeets come out and sit on top of my cage, and I get to sit with Eileen and occasionally fly over and poop on Lee.  That is really all he is good for…..Eileen is my favorite.

Well that is all for today.  You get the idea how much stress I am under.  Somehow sharing my story with you all makes me feel better.  I usually preen my feathers when I feel good, so I better get going……thanks for listening.  Oh by the way the view out the window is pretty good today!  




Eileen’s post script: we are now in Jacksonville, Florida, starting to head north.  We are staying in a place called Flamingo Lake, a natural spring that is great for swimming and fishing.  Here are a couple of photos of the beach and lake:



We were thinking of going to Okefenokee Swamp tomorrow, but there is a huge wildfire there right now, so we have to revise our plans.  It is so nice here, perhaps we will just sit on the beach and swim and float!

No comments: